Friday 3 April 2009

Anwar versus Goliath


How will this end up? With the by elections at Bukit Selambau, Bukit Gantang and Batang Ai on the way, Najib sworn in as the 6th prime minister of Malaysia, economic situation plunging even deeper than ever, will we see a prosperous Malaysia that we dreamed of?

"I, Najib Razak, who has been chosen to hold the post of prime minister, swear that I will carry out the responsibilities which I have been entrusted with to the best of my ability," 

"I will be true to Malaysia and will defend and uphold the constitution."


Will Najib Razak lead the rakyat to a better Malaysia? Will he be ruthless? Will he be the people's man? Will he fight for the rights for all races equally? Will he take stern steps to eliminate corruptions in the UMNO and in the government? Will he promote freedom of speech? Will he release those ISA detainees and abolish ISA once and for all? Will he lead economy recovery? Will he offer himself as a witness to the Mongolian woman's case?

All these questions are probably circulating in our heads and as of now, some good may just come our way. In order to gain some confidence from the public, he has to do something, to me among all the above "will he"s, I have the opinion that ramping back the stimulus package in such a way that it brings direct impact to the rakyat is the most crucial.

Secondly, he has to eliminate all doubts with regards to the Mongolian woman's case. I believe this issue is the most damaging to his image as a Prime Minister. The rest will have to wait, I guess, because he cannot be seen to bending too much to the demands of the rakyat, can he?

I was watching the appointment of Najib as the 6th Prime Minister this morning on TV and at the same time, checking out the speech by Anwar in Bukit Selambau on my laptop. Najib's occasion seems grant and prestige with the Agung, Pak Lah, ministers and Istana Negara, whereas Anwar's make shift podium at Bukit Selambau seems small and not so "governmental".

Nevertheless, Anwar's fantastic speech made up for what was lacking. 

Catch his latest speeches in Bukit Gantang and Bukit Selambau in Malaysiakini.TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment